Mr. Prassas has built a career on innovative financing. In 1988, he pioneered the use of stand-alone taxable bond financing for the Arco Arena, in Sacramento, California, which launched a sports stadium and arena construction boom that continues to this day. He pioneered and developed the negotiated bond markets in Hawaii and Alaska, playing a dominant role in the infrastructure financing in both of those states throughout the late-1980s and 1990s. Most recently, Nick recapitalized an over-leveraged independent school by repurchasing the school’s outstanding bonds during the credit crisis, using low-cost federal stimulus funding. Other notable accomplishments include:
- Investment banker and financial advisor for the past twenty-eight years, advising corporate, governmental and private clients on over $9 billion in transactions, including some of the most complex public works projects in California, Arizona, Hawaii and Alaska.
- Nationally-noted sports stadium and arena finance expert. Among his projects is the Arco Arena, home of the Sacramento Kings, America West Arena, home of the Phoenix Suns, and the Rose Garden, home of the Portland Trailblazers. Retained as advisor for L.A. Raiders relocation.
- Financial advisor and investment banker for the County of Maui, and the City and County of Honolulu, Hawaii, for ten years. Current advisor to the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools.
- Financed a $25 million elementary school for an Inuit village, located on the Bering Sea. In appreciation, the Mayor of Kotzebue, Alaska invited Mr. Prassas on the annual fall caribou hunt.
- Negotiated the last federal divestiture of a major hydroelectric facility for the State of Alaska. The contract and financing required an Act of Congress.
Since founding Prassas Capital in 2000, Mr. Prassas has been involved in a broad array of financial advisory, restructuring, and capital raising assignments, as well as establishing an asset management practice. He has lectured extensively throughout California, Arizona, and Hawaii on fundraising and planned giving strategies, sponsored by organizations such as Oakland Children’s Hospital & Research Center Foundation, Special Olympics Northern California & Nevada; John Muir Medical Center, Hawaii Association of Independent Schools, and the Hawaii Community Foundation. Mr. Prassas has a B.S. from The Pennsylvania State University, an MBA from the University of Arizona, and is a Registered Municipal Advisor.
Mr. Prassas can be reached directly at email@example.com